Slava Novorossiya

Slava Novorossiya

Monday, February 23, 2015

THE TIGER OF MALAYA: GENERAL TOMOYUKI YAMASHITA (NOVEMBER 8, 1885 TO FEBRUARY 23, 1946)



On this date, February 23, 1946, the Tiger of Malaya, Japanese General Tomoyuki Yamashita was executed by hanging in Laguna, Philippines.   Please go to this previous blog post to learn more.


Photo of Yamashita Tomoyuki, Lieutenant-General, Commander of the Japanese 25th Army in 1941



I was carrying out my duty, as the Japanese high commander of the Japanese Army in the Philippine Islands, to control my army with the best of my ability during wartime. Until now, I believe that I have tried my best for my army. As I said in the Manila Supreme Court that I have done everything with all my capacity, so I wouldn't be ashamed in front of the Gods for what I have done when I have died. But if you say to me "you do not have any ability to command the Japanese Army," I should say nothing in response, because it is my own nature. Now, our war criminal trial is going on in the Manila Supreme Court, so I wish to be justified under your kindness and righteousness. I know that all your American military affairs always have had tolerant and rightful judgment. When I had been investigated in the Manila court, I have had good treatment, a kind attitude from your good-natured officers who protected me all the time. I will never forget what they have done for me even if I die. I don't blame my executioners. I'll pray that the Gods bless them. Please send my thankful word to Col. Clarke and Lt. Col. Feldhaus, Lt. Col. Hendrix, Maj. Guy, Capt. Sandburg, Capt. Reel, at Manila court, and Col. Arnard. I thank you. I pray for the Emperor's long life and prosperity forever.

-       The last words of Tomoyuki Yamashita
 

No comments:

Post a Comment